Monday, 21 February 2011

1997 is an Inspiring year

Upon getting dressed this morning I found myself heavily inspired by Tavi Gevinson. You know that amazing girl whose being compared to Anna Wintour. Her blog .The Style Rookie is amaze! Now I've been obsessing over her for a while. Not in a creepy stalker kind of a way, but in a WOW kind of way. This girl is 14, can write and gets fashion. Embarrassingly enough, when I was 13 even 16 I was too filled with teen angst and self doubt to even attempt to wear a wig the same colour of my hair let alone a blue or pink one. I still don't think I have the moxy to pull it off. That alone speaks volumes about this 'Style Rokie' she is amaze! What I love about it, what I love about her is; she says shes inspired by an array of things but at the end of it all, they way she dresses is just a representation of who she is. For me that's style in its simplest form and that's all it takes.
THAT'S THE MISSING INGREDIENT FOLKS.

I've seen many girls read a fashion magazine religiously then buy the outfits in the pictorials, and wear them exactly as is. "Cut and Paste" is what I call it. I'm not claiming to be the Messiah of style but logically that's not style that's not even fashion. That's too much disposable income and too much LBA (Lazy Brain Activity). Be inspired by magazines, FTV, everything! Just don't lose yourself in the process. Fashion (well to me anyway) is about self expression, in the sense that take what you see, take who you are, please take the weather into account (suede shoes on a rainy day-not happening) put it in a blender and mix for however long it takes you to get dressed. Finally: SERVE i.e 'That's my incredibly inspired ensemble world, take it or leave it, but I love it.' Magazines, people, blogs, are guidelines, maps (you know its leading you in the right direction but the scenic route is always better). The true measure of a fashionista is not how many trends are hanging in your closet, but how many amazing inspirational outfits you can create and recreate using what you have.

Pics: google

No comments:

Post a Comment