Sunday, 20 February 2011

A Matter of Style

I read an article in the Sunday World about Uyanda Mbuli. This was going on about the fact that Ms. Diamond Face Couture was parading around the J&B Met in fake red soled shoes. Yes, Christian Louboutin heels. Now whether or not they fake her statement being 'I bought them in Dubai' is a different story. So, fake or real only Mrs Mbuli knows and quite frankly I'm not interested. Yes it shocking and against all fashion morals to engage in fake designer label buying. I believe True Love Magazine has an article about this in this months issue. My question is this; when did style become solely about designer labels and not the creative genius that goes into putting an outfit together that's look amazing unique and effortless.
Mrs Mbuli @ J&B Met 2011

Here's a thought, if you've ever watched Sex and the City, you would know how Carrie Bradshaw would indulge in her love for designer labels, but when it came to her outfits it was about mixing vintage, bargains, high street and personally. Yes, this was the work of Patricia Field, but this was style. Style isn't about how much a pair of shoes costs its about how much you make an outfit worth. I worry that this is becoming a major sub culture is the fashion society. It's simple, if you can't afford a piece of desirable you have 2 options. The first is, Save, every fashionista worth their grain in fashion magazines knows there's no harm in saving. Secondly go with out that simple. It doesn't make you less stylish it makes you admirable. As some people who feel they cant go with out feel they need to buy FAKES!! Shame on you! Mr Louboutin did not slave over an idea for you to go buy some cheap carbon copy. Its like buying a Fake da Vinci hanging it on your wall and inviting people to come ogle over it. Fashion doesn't define status its an extension. An extension of who you are, and what you believe. That is: fake = bad, real = good, style doesn't only mean designer. Fashion doesn't make you its a 50/50 kind of thing.


The woman behind Carrie Bradshaw's style

I grew up with a style obsessed father, I mean the man has over 100 pairs of shoes, his closet is over flowing that he needs a room just for his clothes. I swear I'm not exaggerating, on an average day it takes him an hour to pick out his outfit finding the right shade of what ever the colour of the day is. He's not even remotely metro sexual he just loves clothes and being well put together. I've never been shopping with my mother, only my dad at the start of each season. Every time we embark on our seasonal trips he tells me the same thing. 'Style is not about designer labels its about artfully mixing pieces to tell your story. See today I'm wearing a top from Mr Price, Guess Jeans, My belt is from Markhams, My sneakers Hang Ten, and my man bag Louis Vuitton.' obviously the outlets and labels change according to the story telling of the day. I always complain about me deserving the latest LV bag, the reasons for me not being allowed one varies, but at the base of it is that there's no greater fashion pride then being able to buy your own genuine high end item with your own hard earned money. That's too true. Fashion is about pride, having that pride shows in your style. Its not about labels or fake labels, its about a combination of everything. Its what Patricia Field did with Carie Bradshaw. So if you can't afford, wait for a sale, if you still can't, find an artistic way to wear your R100 heels and strut. Fashion is your art work. Do it properly, do it well, because its all about you.

Pics: google


No comments:

Post a Comment